Friday, 21 August 2026 Dateline Wire — Every story. Every source. One wire.
Dateline Wire
Every story. Every source. One wire.
Health

DR Congo Ebola outbreak grows exponentially as death toll passes 2,500

The Democratic Republic of Congo is facing its most severe Ebola epidemic yet, with deaths surpassing 2,500 and the virus spreading exponentially across six provinces.

DR Congo Ebola outbreak grows exponentially as death toll passes 2,500

The Democratic Republic of Congo is grappling with its most severe Ebola outbreak in history, as the virus spreads exponentially and the death toll surpasses 2,500. The epidemic, driven by the Bundibugyo strain of the virus, has infected more than 5,290 people and is expanding across an area larger than France, according to the United Nations. Health authorities and international agencies warn that the crisis is outpacing containment efforts, with attacks on medical workers, resource shortages, and decades of regional instability compounding the challenge.

Senior UN Ebola coordinator Julien Harneis described the outbreak as “growing exponentially,” emphasizing that half of the recorded deaths occurred in the last 20 days. The current epidemic, declared on May 15, has already exceeded the scale of the 2018–2020 outbreak, which was previously the country’s deadliest. Harneis highlighted that the virus is spreading faster than response teams can track and isolate cases, with transmission occurring in six provinces where weak governance and armed conflict have long undermined public health infrastructure.

The Bundibugyo strain, for which no approved vaccine or treatment exists, has proven particularly difficult to control. While the Ervebo vaccine is being used in limited trials to protect frontline workers, its efficacy against this strain remains unproven. Over 160 healthcare workers have contracted the virus, and 43 have died, exacerbating staffing shortages and eroding community trust. Harneis noted that local hostility toward medical teams has intensified, with more than 260 attacks on health workers reported in the past six months. Ambulances have been burned, clinics attacked, and misinformation about the virus fueling resistance to public health measures.

Video: Ebola Outbreak: Ebola Death Toll in Democratic Republic of Congo Rises to 254 | WION — WION (YouTube)

Financial constraints further hinder the response. Harneis warned that existing funding will be exhausted within weeks, jeopardizing efforts to expand surveillance, testing, and treatment capacity. The UN has called for urgent international support to prevent the outbreak from spilling into neighboring countries. “If we do not ramp up resources, this epidemic will become more deadly and spread wider,” he said. Despite a $80 million contribution from the United States to bolster bed capacity and safe burial practices, aid cuts in recent years have reduced humanitarian capacity by over 30%, according to Harneis.

The crisis is unfolding in regions plagued by decades of conflict, where fragile healthcare systems and limited access to basic services complicate containment. In Ituri province, where Harneis spoke from the outbreak’s epicenter, logistical challenges are acute. “It took three hours to drive 60 kilometers last week,” he said, citing disrupted transportation networks. Banking failures and government restrictions on cash transfers have also delayed payments to frontline workers, exacerbating frustration and turnover.

Community resistance remains a critical barrier. Conspiracy theories about the virus being a “hoax” and strict protocols prohibiting traditional burial practices have fueled resentment. Harneis described how fear manifests in violence, with “angry young men” attacking ambulances and healthcare facilities. “People are already risking their lives to deal with Ebola, and then they face these attacks,” he said.

As the outbreak enters its third month, the UN and partner agencies continue to deploy medical teams and expand isolation units. However, the scale of the crisis demands unprecedented coordination. With the fatality rate at 47.6% and over 840 patients still in isolation, the window to halt the spread is narrowing. Harneis urged immediate action, stating, “We will continue deploying all the humanitarian and medical assistance needed until the job is done.”

Reporting based on coverage by firstpost.com. Additional source material: firstpost.com, independent.co.uk, sg.news.yahoo.com, miragenews.com.

Related stories