Friday, 21 August 2026 Dateline Wire — Every story. Every source. One wire.
Dateline Wire
Every story. Every source. One wire.
Politics

Meghan Markle offered role in UK project amid family move

Meghan Markle has reportedly been offered a significant UK-based project, prompting her family's planned relocation back to England after six years in California.

Meghan Markle offered role in UK project amid family move

Meghan Markle, the Duchess of Sussex, is "very excited" after being offered a role in an upcoming UK-based project, according to multiple reports. The offer, described as “significant” by sources, has been framed as a key factor in the couple’s decision to return to the UK after six years in California, with their children set to enroll in schools in England ahead of their move later this month.

Bronte Coy, a royal correspondent for News.com.au, told BBC Radio 4’s *Today* program that the acting opportunity played a central role in the Sussexes’ decision to reestablish a presence in Harry’s home country. “This is such a key part of the puzzle,” Coy said. “I’m told it’s significant, and she’s very excited about it.”

Meghan’s potential return to the screen has drawn attention to her career trajectory since leaving the legal drama *Suits* in 2018, the year she married Harry. While she has remained active in media through her Netflix series *With Love, Meghan* and a cameo in the comedy *Close Personal Friends*, her acting career had been largely on hold. The new role, however, could mark her most substantial project since her departure from *Suits*, where she played Rachel Zane, a role that cemented her status as a household name.

Video: Meghan Markle on If She Can Ever Forgive the Royal Family — Entertainment Tonight (YouTube)

Professor Jonathan Shalit, chairman of the InterTalent Rights Group, emphasized the enduring appeal of Meghan’s work in *Suits*, which has continued to gain viewership through streaming and reruns. “Suits has had an extraordinary life beyond its original run,” he said. “There is already an audience who know Meghan as an actress rather than simply as the Duchess of Sussex.” Shalit suggested that her “enormous name recognition” and “extraordinary international profile” would make her an attractive prospect for directors and producers, though he noted that “doors would open” only if she pursued the opportunity seriously.

Meghan’s UK Move and Financial Considerations

The Sussexes’ relocation has raised questions about their financial arrangements, particularly regarding security funding. Prime Minister Andy Burnham declined to comment on whether taxpayers would cover their security costs, calling it a “private matter.” The couple plans to maintain their California home and a property in Portugal while living in a private residence in the UK. Their children, Archie and Lilibet, are set to begin school in England in September.

The move also signals a shift in the couple’s media strategy. Their production company, Archewell Productions, and lifestyle brand, As Ever, will not be relocated to the UK, according to reports. This follows the cancellation of their Netflix deal in 2025, which had included a cooking show that was restructured amid their decision to return to Britain.

Speculation and Uncertainty

Details about the UK-based project remain undisclosed, with sources offering only vague descriptions of its nature. While some outlets, including *mirror.co.uk* and *yahoo.com*, have framed the role as a potential acting comeback, others, like *avclub.com*, have taken a more speculative tone, suggesting that the offer could be “maybe, possibly” a step toward re-entering the industry. The lack of clarity has fueled debates about whether the project is a genuine opportunity or a strategic move to reestablish Meghan’s public presence.

Despite the uncertainty, the prospect of her return to acting has reignited interest in her previous work. *Suits* experienced a surge in popularity in 2023, breaking streaming records and sparking discussions about a potential revival. However, such a revival has not materialized, and Meghan’s co-stars have not been involved in recent developments. The new project, if confirmed, would mark a departure from her recent ventures, which have focused on lifestyle content and brand expansion.

As the Sussexes prepare for their transition, the role’s implications remain unclear. Whether it represents a full-scale return to acting or a limited engagement, the project underscores the evolving dynamics of Meghan’s public life. For now, the couple’s focus appears to be on settling into their new chapter, with the potential for a career shift hanging in the balance.

Reporting based on coverage by mirror.co.uk. Additional source material: mirror.co.uk, yahoo.com, yahoo.com, avclub.com.

Related stories